Thursday, December 4, 2008

Anne of Green Gables


So, I found myself this past Thanksgiving weekend sitting on the couch channel surfing when to my surprise I found "Anne of Green Gables" followed by "Anne of Avonlea" showing on PBS. Now, if you know me you know how much I love Anne of Green Gables (all 8 books.) You also know that I am a 100% hopeless romantic and I always love a good love story or a sappy chick flick. (Yes, I just wrote that for all of the world to know, and I am alright with that.) It had been a while since I had last watched either of the "Anne" movies (I refuse to even associate the 3rd one with anything remotely related to Anne and I will not be watching the new one when it comes out), and I had forgotten how much I enjoy the story of Anne and Gilbert. Yes, I understand that it is fiction and NO I don't remotely expect my life to be anything like the Blythe's, but I still love it no matter how many times I've seen it. Although, once or twice I have asked "Where's my Gil?" I have all 8 of the books and try to read them every summer. I can quote the movies (only the 2 I consider worth watching) practically word for word (yes, I have watched them that many times.) I have been to Prince Edward Island (P.E.I. to those of you who are true fans) thanks to Amanda! Plus, I own a set of "Anne of Green Gables" character dolls (yes, I just admitted that, too;-)) Yet, the thing I love the very most about "Anne of Green Gables" is that my Dad will sit down and watch them with me and not complain about watching a movie we have seen multiple times. When I was watching the movies over the Thanksgiving break I looked over at my Dad and couldn't help but give him a hard time about tearing up a little bit at the end. Yes, I am a Daddy's girl and I always will be.

So, here it is a list of a FEW of the reasons why I love "Anne of Green Gables":
I love when Gilbert calls Anne "Carrots" and she breaks the slate over his head.

I love how Gilbert says "Sorry" in his Canadian accent. How can you not love it?

I love how Matthew will do anything for Anne.

I wouldn't spell Anne any other way than "Ann-e spelled with an e."

I have actually read "The Lady of Shalott" because of the movies.


You can't help but love Matthew when he comments that Rachel Lynde "deserves what she gets."

Anne dying her hair green rather than the "Raven Black" she had hoped for.

A dress with "Puffed Sleeves."

Anne playing the "Lily Maid" and Gilbert "rescuing" her as she is "Fishing for Lake Trout."


Anne forgetting to put the cheese cloth over the sauce for the plum pudding and then finds a mouse in it, and Miss Stacy laughs about it.

Every time I watch the part where Matthew passes away I am brought to tears (so is my Dad, but I didn't tell you that.)

Getting to sleep in the "Spare Room."

Gilbert giving up Avonlea School for Anne.

Anne and Diana chasing Dolly through Rachel Lynde's cabbage fields.

Fireworks in the fireplace at Kingsport Lady's College.

Anne running into Gilbert in Kingsport and he gives her the note that reads: "Congratulations on your success, Carrots. From your old chum, Gilbert"

When Anne is finally published and the inscription reads: "To Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert for their unfailing love and support, and for Gilbert, who inspired me with the idea in the first place."

Gilbert laying in bed sick and he tells Anne, "I called it off. It wouldn't have been fair to Christine. There will never be anyone for me, but you. "

Last but not least, the best part (in my opinion)...I will always love the last scene of "Anne of Avonlea," no matter how many times I watch this scene it will never grow old.
GILBERT: Well, I hope you keep on dreaming. It will be three years before I finish medical school, and even then, there won't be any diamond sunbursts or marble halls.
ANNE: I don't want sunbursts or marble halls. I just want you.


All pictures courtesy of http://greengables.tripod.com/

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Rachel, that has got to be, without a doubt, the most in-depth post about Annes of Green Gables ever. Awesome. I've never seen any of the movies, but now I definitely want to see the first two:)

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Rachel, I also love those movies. I have to admit I a haven't read the books but I actually watch both of them before I had Tyson because I knew I wouldn't be able to watch them for awhile since they are longer movies. I am a hopeless romantic also.

The Sherman's said...

So you have a blog and didn't tell me about it! Thanks a lot!!! I loved the book, thanks for giving it to me by the way. When I finished it I had to watch the movies again. Now I just need to read the next one...I'm saving it for Jan and Feb when I'm so big and pregnant I can't do anything but waddle!

Lori said...

oh how i love those movies. this post made me want to go watch them alllll over again.

Pieces of Us said...

This post reminded me of how much I love Anne.

I didn't know you had a blog! Good thing I found it! =)