Monday, May 24, 2010

Utah Weather: AKA Snowing on May 24th

Warning, this is a bit of a venting session...
Dear Utahns,
You live in Utah, most of you have lived here for many years, and yet you act shocked, surprised, and startled by the drastic swings in Utah's weather. Yes, today is the latest day that recordable amounts of snow have been recorded at the airport, but come on... we live in UTAH, wait five minutes, it'll change.
As for me, I don't mind the rain and snow up until the last day of school. The cooler weather keeps my students a little less antsy, and more willing to focus on school. If I had it my way it would rain/snow every day until the end of the school year! Hate me for it, but it makes teaching so much better.
Plus, I really enjoy having plenty of drinking water, bathing water, and even water to keep our lawns green in August and September. We have to get our water somewhere, and last I checked this is how Utah gets most of it's water.
Finally, history has proven that the cooler and wetter our Spring is the cooler our Summer is. I personally am not a huge fan of 100+ degree days all Summer long, so I am more than willing to deal with Snow/Rain when I am cooped up at work.
Most of those complaining about the snow and rain now are likely the ones that will complain that it is too hot come summer, anyway!
So, for now, Bring on the Rain!

No comments: